In addition to being purely aesthetic, a tattoo of a feather can have different meanings some obvious, some less obvious. Feathers are related to air, as it is the air they were created to glide through and work in harmony with. For this reason feathers are often associated with the mystical qualities of the air itself.
Their symbol represents intellect, will, and spirit communication.
- Flight: feathers are the main tool for the flight, synonymous with the free spirit and lightness of temperament, and an ability to approach life from a privileged perspective.
- Spirituality: feathers are used in many shamanic rituals to facilitate communication between the earthly world and the spiritual.
- Freedom: The expression free as a bird can be summarized with a feather, indicating freedom from cares and social restrictions or emotional entanglements.
Before choosing a tattoo of a feather it is good to make the distinction between birds, which can be used as a reference:
- Owl: symbol of death for some, for others a symbol of intelligence and mystery.
- Peacock: for those who want a very colorful symbol of rebirth, holiness and vanity.
- Eagle: a symbol of the United States, synonymous with freedom and courage.
- Phoenix: to receive a feather from the mythological Greek bird is the equivalent to a promise of eternal life.